The Ingredients (for 35 to 40 pieces):
- 2 or 3 zucchini
- 2 cooked sausages (I prefer Silva Zesty Chicken Italian)
- 225 ml (or 1 cup) of pizza sauce
- 115 g (or ¼ lb) of mozzarella cheese
- cooking grade olive oil
- Wash the zucchini and cut them crosswise into rounds approximately 8 mm (or ¼ in) thick.
- Peel the outer membrane off the cooked sausages and cut them crosswise into rounds approximately 4 mm (or ⅛ in) thick.
- Grate the mozzarella cheese.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat and spray or lightly brush it with olive oil.
- Place the zucchini rounds on the griddle and toast them lightly for about 2 minutes; turn them, and toast them on the other side for the same amount of time.
- When the zucchini rounds are still firm but show small browned spots from the griddle, transfer them to a baking dish or foil-covered grill pan.
- Heat a broiler on highest heat.
- Place one sausage round on top of each zucchini round.
- Spoon approximately 5 ml (or 1 teaspoon) of pizza sauce onto each sausage round.
- Spoon approximately 3 g (or 1 teaspoon) of grated mozzarella cheese on top of the pizza sauce.
- Place the "pizzus" under the broiler for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the broiler, remove the pizzus to a lower part of the oven, and keep them warm until ready to serve.
This is my version of Chungah's recipe on her damndelicious blog.