Search This Blog

Friday, August 7, 2015

Aloha Guacamole


The Ingredients:
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2 g (or ¼ teaspoon) of salt
  • 15 cc (or 1 tablespoon) of dried onion flakes
  • 2 avocados, preferably Haas
  • 40 g (or ½ lb) of fresh, ripe pineapple


The Method:
  1. Mash or grind the garlic with the salt, preferably in a molcajete, until it is smooth and creamy.
  2. Add the dried onion and avocados and continue to mash or grind until the avocado is mostly creamed.
  3. Cut the pineapple into small cubes and add it to the avocado, mixing it just enough to distribute evenly.
  4. Allow the guacamole to sit in the refrigerator for about half an hour before serving.


The Story:

A tiny pineapple ripened in the backyard, and my daughter suggested I make pineapple guacamole. It would not have occurred to me, but she reminded me how good mango-avocado salsa is and then I was sold on the idea. I kept the aromatics much lower than I do for a regular guacamole and did not add any lime juice or Tabasco. The pineapple-avocado combination produced a taste that was
unexpectedly better and more satisfyingly complex than I had expected. Aloha! We used it as a salsa in fish "tacos": whole grain flatbreads, pan-fried catfish, and Aloha Guacamole.


The edible bromeliad

No comments:

Post a Comment