The Ingredients (for 4 to 6 servings):
- 675 g (or 1½ lb) of Okinawan sweet potatoes
- 40 g (or 3 tablespoons) of unsalted butter
- 8 g (or 1 tablespoon) of pure garlic powder
- 12 g (or ½ tablespoon) of salt
- 4 g (or ½ tablespoon) of freshly ground black pepper
- 0.5 g (or ⅛ teaspoon) of Cayenne pepper
- Turn the oven on and heat it to 220°C (or 425°F).
- Wash the potatoes and slice them lengthwise into strips approximately 1 cm (or ⅜ in) wide.
- Melt the butter and toss the potato slices in it until all of them are lightly coated.
- Mix together the garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and Cayenne.
- Sprinkle the spices over the potatoes and toss them again to season them evenly.
- Place the potatoes into a shallow baking pan large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Place into the oven, bake for 15 minutes then turn them with a large spatula or tongs.
- Bake for a further 10 minutes, then turn the oven off.
- Allow the frites to cool down with the oven for 10 more minutes before serving.
|Even the baby loves them!|
|Purple Frites with lamb chop, mustard, and salad|
Although white potatoes have a high glycemic index, sweet potatoes in general, and especially the purple Okinawan sweet potato have a medium to low glycemic index (see this post on the CRway website for more information). This variety is plentiful in Hawai'i, where it was introduced as a crop and grows well. And it doesn't have the overpowering sweetness of a yam or some other varieties of sweet potato.