*Pressure Cooker. (You can prepare this dish without pressure by simmering at boiling point for about three times as long as the pressure cooker in step 8.)
The Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 1 kg (or 2.2 lb) of beef short ribs, Korean cut
- 45 g (or 1½ oz) of ginger
- 60 ml (or 4 tablespoons) of dark soy sauce
- 60 ml (or 4 tablespoons) of white wine or sake
- 30 ml (or 2 tablespoons) of rice vinegar
- 30 ml (or 2 tablespoons) of sesame oil
- stevia equivalent of 20 g (or 1½ tablespoons) of sugar
- 4 g (or ½ tablespoon) of freshly ground black pepper
- 120 ml (or ½ cup) of beef broth
- cooking grade olive oil
- Rinse and pat dry the ribs, then cut them into pieces between the cross-cut rib bones.
- Peel the ginger and grate or grind it into very small pieces.
- Mix together the ginger, soy, wine, vinegar, sesame oil, stevia, and pepper. (I do steps 2 and 3 at the same time by using a small food processor.)
- Coat the bottom of the pressure cooker with olive oil and heat it to medium-high.
- Brown the pieces of short rib in the oil, turning often so they do not burn or stick to the pan.
- Add the ginger-soy mixture to the pressure cooker and turn the ribs in the mixture to coat them evenly.
- Add the beef broth and mix again.
- Following the manufacturer's instructions, bring the pressure cooker to high (100 kPa, or 15 psi) and cook the ribs at this setting for 25 minutes.
- Remove the pressure cooker from the burner and allow the pressure to recede.
- Pour off any fat from the ribs and turn them over a few times in the veri teri sauce before serving.