Search This Blog

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Green, Eggs, No-Ham Breakfast


Menu Note:

  • This is my version of a recipe published by Katie (the Wellness Mama) on her blog.


The Ingredients (for two servings):

  • 1 large avocado
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 scallion
  • 40 g (or 1½ oz) of feta cheese
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • cooking grade olive oil

    The Method:
    1. Turn on the oven to 175°C (or 350°F).
    2. Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the seed.
    3. Line a small baking sheet or pie pan with aluminum foil or parchment
    4. Place the two avocado halves, face-up, on the foil or parchment.
    5. Crack an egg into a small bowl and estimate whether it will fit in the seed cavity of the avocado. If not, enlarge the cavity by scooping out some of the flesh with a spoon. 
    6. Pour the egg into the avocado half.
    7. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the other egg.
    8. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the egg and exposed avocado
    9. Place the avocado halves into the oven and bake until the whites are just set. This may be from 15 to 20 minutes. (In my toaster oven, which I have never calibrated for temperature, it takes 20 minutes for a very large avocado.)
    10. In the meantime, chop the scallion finely and crumble the feta.
    11. When the egg whites are done, sprinkle the feta and then the scallion rounds over the eggs and exposed avocado.

    12. Spray (preferably) or drizzle a little olive oil over the cheese mixture.
    13. Turn off the oven, but replace the avocado halves in it for 5 minutes to warm and soften the feta and set the egg whites a little firmer.

      The Story:

      This seemed like a good idea when I first saw it on the Wellness Mama blog. However, I never thought about it again until I started to make guacamole with a huge avocado I had bought at a local farmers market. When I cut this particular fruit in half, I found that it was just a little too unripe, its flesh a little too hard to use for guacamole. Aha! Bake it with egg! And I did. 

      (BTW the other avocado I bought from the same farmer was perfect for the guacamole.)

      No comments:

      Post a Comment