- 700 g (or 1½ lb) of fresh cranberries
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- fresh ginger
- a dash (or ⅛ teaspoon) of baking soda
- Wash the cranberries under running water, discarding any spoiled berries.
- Wash the orange and the lemon thoroughly, and finely grate the zest off each, keeping them separate.
- Peel about 2.5 cm (or 1 in) of fresh ginger and finely grate it, discarding any long fibers that accumulate.
- Place 240 ml (or 1 cup) of water in a saucepan, and add the cranberries, orange zest, and grated ginger.
- Over medium low heat, bring the water to a boil and simmer the berry mixture until it has thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the sauce to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the baking soda and stir, ignoring any bubbling that may take place.
- Add stevia sparingly, stirring constantly, and tasting frequently, until the sauce is barely sweetened.
- Add the lemon zest, stir, and taste one more time.