The Ingredients (for 4 to 6 servings):
- 225 g (or 8 oz) of watercress (I use the stems only, after making a salad with the leafy ends)
- 1.9 l (or 8 cups) of chicken broth
- 105 g (or 4 tablespoons) of miso
- 60 ml (or 1 tablespoon) of Asian fish sauce
- 2 eggs
- Wash the watercress and chop it roughly.
- Place the chopped watercress in a pot with the chicken broth and bring them to boiling point over high heat.
- Turn the heat down so that the broth is barely simmering, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add 1 cup of cold water to the cooked watercress.
- Puree the watercress in broth using a blender or food processor (I prefer to use a hand-held blender).
- Place the pot on low heat and allow it to reach a simmer.
- Meanwhile, place the miso, eggs, and fish sauce in a small bowl or similar vessel and mix them together with a fork until they are thoroughly blended.
- Add a few tablespoons of water and mix again, until the mixture is of a pouring consistency.
- When the broth is simmering and the miso mixture is ready, take the broth off the heat and blend in the miso mixture (I find the hand-held blender ideal for this step).
- Keep the soup warm until ready to serve.