The Ingredients (for 3 servings):
- 1 red onion
- 15 ml (or ½ tablespoon) of balsamic vinegar
- 450 g (or 1 lb) of fresh monchong (sickle pomfret) or similar mild, medium-density, white fish
- 30 ml (or 1 tablespoon) of sesame oil
- 3 g (or ½ tablespoon) of finely ground white pepper
- 3 g (or ½ teaspoon) of salt
- 5 garlic cloves, approximately 20g
- 30 ml (or 1 tablespoon) of balsamic vinegar
- 240 g (or ½ lb) of baby okra
- 340 g (or ¾ lb) of tomatillos
- 1 small bunch of cilantro
- Cooking grade olive oil
Bake the onion
Bake the onion
- Heat an oven or a toaster oven to 205°C (or 400°F).
- Peel the onion and remove the root but keep the core intact.
- Cut the onion into 12 wedges through the core so that each wedge is held together at the bottom.
- Spray or smear a baking pan with olive oil and place the onion wedges in the pan. Lightly spray or brush them with olive oil.
- Bake the onion for 15 minutes, then remove them and turn off the oven.
- Sprinkle or drip the balsamic vinegar onto the onion wedges and place them back into the cooling oven.
Marinate the monchong
- Place the monchong filets into a shallow bowl and coat them with the sesame oil, white pepper, and salt.
- Allow the filets to marinate for at least 15 minutes, then slice them into serving-size pieces.
Stir-fry and assemble the dish
- Peel and finely dice the garlic cloves or put them through a garlic press.
- Wash the okra and remove the tops.
- Peel the outer skin off the tomatillos, wash them, and cut them into quarters.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat and add olive oil sufficient for stir-frying.
- Introduce the okra into the pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes, then turn the heat to medium-high.
- Add the tomatillos and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, add a little water if necessary, and cover the pan. Cook the vegetables for 3 minutes.
- Place the monchong pieces on top of the vegetables, cover the pan again, and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the baked onion and the cilantro and stir to mix all the ingredients.