- Unable to obtain a good French dressing like the one pictured below, I have subsequently substituted the dressing described in steps 1 to 4 of Grill It, a recipe that is also on this blog. We think we like this even better than the commercial product.
The Ingredients (for two people):
- 2 slices of rye bread (preferably New York or Jewish rye)
- 3 slices of pastrami (I used Columbus brand)
- 1 slice of cheese (preferably Manchego)
- French dressing (preferably Tropic's Special Dressing)
- Place a skillet or griddle on medium-low heat and allow it to warm up.
- Lightly butter one side of one slice of the bread and place it, butter side down, on the bottom of the pan. Make a note of the time or set a timer for 5 minutes.
- Spread the upper side of this slice of bread with French dressing.
- Arrange the slices of pastrami on the bread in the pan.
- Warm the sauerkraut in the microwave and squeeze out the fluid.
- Arrange the sauerkraut on top of the pastrami.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of the sauerkraut.
- Spread the second slice of bread with French dressing and place it, dressing side down, on top of the cheese.
- Lightly butter the top of this slice of bread.
- Five to seven minutes after placing the first slice of bread in the pan, turn the sandwich over.
- After another 5 to 7 minutes, remove the sandwich and cut it in half.
Sometimes even a diabetic needs a hearty lunch with some carbs. For us, this happens whenever we go on a hike or a bike ride for 4 hours or longer. Reuben has always been one of my favorite sandwiches (when we were dating several decades ago I shocked my husband once by ordering a Reuben for breakfast). But on the small island where we live we have tried without success to find a restaurant with a good Reuben, so I decided to try making them at home. I researched online what other people were doing, checked at local stores for likely ingredients, and came up with the combination described here. Turns out I only have to shop at two stores to buy all the ingredients. Sometimes I make this sandwich for guests from the mainland and proudly tell them they are eating the best Reuben on the island.